Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Thanks but no thanks

I just returned from a decent workout-- a circuit training class at work that kicks my butt!
If I have to do one more lunge, I will scream!


On the drive home from the class, I was still sweating and quite smelly (definitely not those ladies at the gym that do their hair and makeup before they walk slowly on the treadmill) and I started thinking about how I don't workout as much as I tell my doctor I work out (don't tell on me! Also, don't tell my dentist that I don't floss twice a day!). 
I'm still months away from even starting medical school and I've already started to worry that I will become a hypocrite. I wonder how can I be expected to tell my patients that they need to workout 3-4 days a week, when I don't hold myself to that same standard? 

At least I'm trying to improve?? Right?? "A for effort"??          
                                                                                            

Meanwhile, back in reality, there will many more pressing concerns and difficult ethical dilemmas to deal with. Just a thought I had in my post-workout glow (AKA sweaty mess).




Over in med school application land:

photo of students having class outsideI formally withdrew my application from a school I was on a waitlist for. 

I really didn't see myself going to school there and I, luckily, have offers from 3 schools that I would love to attend. 

Honestly, part of me felt like I needed to "reject" them before they could reject me. Also, I didn't really love the area and the facilities were shared with PA, podiatry, nursing, and PT students--which at first was a selling point (team work!), but ended up feeling kind of crowded. 

Would I have gone here if I didn't get in anywhere else? 
Absolutely! 
I still would have walked out the door with MD after my name and that is the goal! 
However, I think I would be much happier at one of the other schools, so why waste their time considering me--maybe some other pre-med will get pulled up in consideration because I'm out.

It's pretty funny how difficult it was for me to send in the withdrawal  Especially considering how easy it's been for some of the schools to reject me. I guess I felt nervous about eliminating one of my options. Yes, I didn't want to go there, but at least I (maybe) had the option to go there. I think that's why I am still holding 3 acceptances. I have favorites and they are ranked in my mind, but I like the idea that I can still change my mind. I have three months to make a decision. Three months is a pretty long time. A lot can change in three months.I can learn more about the schools and the areas, maybe my ranking will change? Plus, my boyfriend S. is coming with me--this gives him the option of 3 regions to try to find a job in, rather than just one.

I'm good at making decisions under pressure and living with the consequences of my decisions. However, if I have a lot of time to consider things before I make my decision, I will milk it and drag it out to the last minute.
Is anyone else indecisive like that? Do you hem and haw over decisions when you have the luxury of time?

Night all! Hope you got a good workout in today, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment